Thursday 28 January 2010

Chub rewards cold water efforts

LOADS of recent headlines and articles have been singing the praises of the chub as a species that will continue to feed, even with a lot of the country still firmly in the icy grip of winter.

My last three outings have all ended – though one of them didn't start – in pursuit of this greedy predator and after a couple of blanks, I finally connected with one of about 3lbs which was a most welcome sight after a good few fish-less hours on the frozen banks.

After lamenting the time I wasted at the Loddon in my last post on this blog, I took my own advice and headed a couple of days later to the river Blackwater. Conditions were indeed perfect though the fish disagreed as they stubbornly refused the cheese paste that I legered in all the likeliest-looking holes. Even into darkness they showed no interest but so angling goes...

Not entirely deterred, I returned yesterday and thought a size 20 hook tied to a 1lb 8oz link and baited with pinkies under a small stick float might winkle out a few dace and roach. It didn't. After flogging the swim for some hours with nothing to show but an aching arm for my efforts, I conceded defeat and put the float gear away.

There was just enough time left to give the leger a go and although the chub weren't playing ball last time, I reasoned that a slight rise in the air temperature might have encouraged them to feed. So with light fading fast I went to the most reliable swim on the river and was rewarded within a few casts with a big pair of rubbery lips slipping over the rim of my landing net, restoring my faith in my bait, tactics, tackle and ability!

No comments:

Post a Comment